Thursday, August 19, 2010

Review: The Iron Daughter

The Iron Daughter
Julie Kagawa
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Release Date: August 1, 2010
Pages: 368

Ratings: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Julie Kagawa has outdone herself in the second installment of the Iron Fey series. Usually, the second book often falls short of expectations, but the Iron Daughter actually surpassed the Iron King.

In the Iron Daughter, Julie Kagawa expands the beautiful world she created in the first installment of the series, adding even more rich details to Meghan’s world. I loved seeing the Winter Court, the place where Ash grew up, and learning more about the courts and the customs in the fey world of Nevernever. New characters were introduced in the Iron Daughter and I must say, I really liked them all. Characters such as Leanansidhe fit in great with the old characters from the previous books.

The story in Iron Daughter was a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I cried, I laughed, I gasped, I scream and was even tempted at points to toss my Nook across the room. This book was everything I expected and more. The plot had me flipping pages as fast as possible. The plot felt incredibly new and fresh, and extremely captivating. While I did speed read this to not have the book spoiled in a chat with Julie Kagawa, I wanted to speed read it to figure out where Julie Kagawa was taking Meghan, Ash, Puck and the gang next.

What I love about this series is the characters. They drive the plot and the story completely. Whether you are Team Ash or Team Puck, Julie Kagawa had plenty of action with both characters, leaving everyone happy. New characters, such as Rowan and the Iron Horse have become new favorite characters, especially Iron Horse. While Iron Horse was in the previous novel, his role has change drastically and the readers really get to know that not all Iron Fey are evil and that Iron Horse is not what we thought from the previous novel.

While I can continue talking and gushing forever about this book, I don’t want to bore you with my love for the Iron Daughter. This book is amazing, and I’ve had to contain my love of the awesomeness of this book through out this review. The Iron Fey series is everything I want in a series, it’s fresh, exciting, has amazing characters and is just awesome. I highly recommend this series to everyone. The ending of the Iron Daughter has me eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the Iron Fey series. I guess I just must reread the Iron King and the Iron Daughter a gazillion times until the release of the Iron Queen in February 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment