Monday, October 11, 2010

Review: Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Darkness
Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little Brown Books
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Pages: 512

Ratings: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.

Beautiful Darkness had me under a spell that kept me up until 6am. I had to finish it once I started reading. Even after finishing it, I didn’t want to sleep, I just wanted to get up and exclaim how awesome it was, but I refrained. The second book in the Caster Chronicles surpassed my expectations. Beautiful Darkness is a stunning second book in an amazing series.

Initially, I was extremely worried that Beautiful Darkness would suffer from the second book in series syndrome, where the second book is more of a place holder and nothing happens….boy, was I wrong. If anything, Beautiful Darkness had even more going on then in Beautiful Creatures. I really enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, but I loved Beautiful Darkness. If anything, I think Beautiful Darkness was better than it’s predecessor.

Beautiful Darkness picks up were Beautiful Creatures ended. However, if you haven’t read Beautiful Creatures in a while, have no fear. As long as you can remember the major plot points, everything in Beautiful Darkness makes sense. Immediately, Beautiful Darkness picks up and places you under a spell that does not release you until the end of the book. This book is darker then Beautiful Creatures, but it makes sense after the actions in Beautiful Creatures that have stirred up more turmoil in Lena’s life. I loved the darker tone, and the turmoil and the raw, powerful emotions in this book.
Two new characters are introduced in this book who pose unknown risks to Lena and Ethan’s relationships. These new charaters were definitely intriguing and hit seamlessly into the story. I was particularly interesting in John Breed. Wait until you meet him and you will be too.

Beautiful Darkness constantly kept me on my toes. I did not see many of the twists and turns Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl decided to take us on. I frequently was shocked by what occurred that I even gasped out loud too many times to remember. This book was also an emotional rollercoaster for both the reader and the characters. I empathized so much with Ethan and the pain he was feeling when Lena was being distance. Kami and Margaret capture Ethan’s voice perfectly and have created a stunning narrator. All their characters are great and it’s really easy to sympathize for them when they are going through every thing that happens during this book. And poor Ethan. I love Ethan, and I frequently wanted to just give him a hug because everything that happened.

Beautiful Darkness surpassed my expectations. The writing was beautiful, flowing seamlessly as if it was written by one person, the plot was superb, constantly keeping the reader on edge and the characters were well develop and such loveable characters. The ending was perfect and definitely left me anxious for the next book. However, ever all the horrible things that happened in this book, I hope Ethan, Lena, Link and the whole gang would be able to catch some sort of break because I felt so bad for them after the events they had to endure in this book. I cannot wait for the next book though and am eager to see where Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl take this wonderful series next.

No comments:

Post a Comment