Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vlog Review: Haven

Haven
Kristi Cook
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: February 22, 2011
Pages: 416
Source: Simon and Schuster’s Galley Grab

Ratings: 2 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.

Review in the vlog below. WARNING!!! CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS!!




Somethings in the vlog I didn't mention. I didn't hate this book, I just had a lot of issues with it that made me not enjoy it. I felt Haven was well written with the exception of the "you knows". I liked that Violet was all moody and gloomy like Bella Swan, and instead was her own character.  I failed to mention that I hated the hot and cold of Violet and Aidan's relationship. One moment Violet was all lovey dovey and then would completely ignore Aidan and then wonder why he isn't talking to her. That was extremely annoying. 


Here are some highlights from my Goodreads feed for Haven that basically sum up my feelings on this book:

Page 42 - I find myself talking to this book.   
Page 230 - Beautiful use of the phrase "you know": "Well, I figured she was jealous of you anyway. You know, about Aidan. Not that they've ever...you know."
Page 243 - WTF!! "I was supposed to be frightened. But there was no denying that I was totally turned on." This is seriously wrong. 
Page 272- "I guess my breaching his mind had cured the vampire version of a hard-on he'd been suffering from." WTF 
Page 347- (AFTER THE LICKING) "By the time he finished, I was reduced to a quivering mass on the bed, panting and squirming." This girl has serious issues.
Page 387 - That was fast. And anti-climatic
Here's what people who thought differently from me said: 
Miss Page Turner's City of Books - "In my opinion, a very good novel is always marked by a very good writing style. Cook applied a writing style that supported the story very well. Although I noticed serval word repetitions, I find Cook's writing just right."
My Reading Room - "Fun characters, a plot that sucks you in and great storytelling make Haven one of my favorite YA books this year."
The Book Sp(l)ot - "The beginning of the book was  a fast, engrossing read that really drew me in. Then, a little bit of the middle did go a little slower, but definitely stick with it because the ending (and middle/end) really gets going again and draws you right back in!"
The Crazy Bookworm - "Haven is very magical. It wisps you away from the hustle and bustle of ordinary life and transports you into this whimsical place. Not all of it is lollipops and rainbows though, there is a great deal of suspense.
Between the Covers -  "Haven was a quick, enjoyable read. Cook's writing easily engages the reader, finding just the right balance of description and action and refined style and teen voice that brings the story to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment