Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Perception by Kim Harrington


Perception
Kim Harrington
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Series or Standalone: Clarity #2
ISBN: 9780545230537
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 288
Websites:
Kim Harrington – Website
Kim Harrington – Blog 
Kim Harrington – Twitter

Rating: 4 Stars

Reading Perception reminded me of how much I enjoyed Clarity. It was so great to be thrown back into Clare’s world in Eastport, MA.

Perception picks up after the events of Clarity. Clare and the Fern family are still dealing with the aftermath of what occurred over the summer, which means an increase in popularity for Clare and trouble for her brother Perry. Before long, trouble once again rears its head in Eastport with the disappearance of a local girl followed by Clare getting messages from a secret admirer making Clare want to use her gift to try to solve these mysterious

I really liked that Kim Harrington did not just dismiss the events of the prior book, but continued to build off what happened and continue to affect the characters. Clare wants to use her gift to help find this missing girl but her near brush with death in book one makes her mother prevent her from doing that. But Clare is still curious and manages to still try and help anyways.

I loved the mystery in this book. A simple, yet believable situation had Clare and the reader working to the end to uncover the culprit. I really liked how everything tied together in the end and how all the little mysteries popping up were all connected.

The battle of the boys, Gabriel and Jason, continues in this book more. In Clarity, I wasn’t sure who I liked more out of the two boys, but Perception allowed room for more growth with both these characters and Gabriel came out as my favorite of the two (I mean he plays hockey!). While the romance isn’t the main focus of the book, it was woven in with the main action and did not feel forced. And this was not a love triangle that was annoying either. Clare is genuinely confused about her feelings for these boys and wants both in her life, but not sure whom she would prefer to be more than friends with. In the end, I felt Clare definitely made the right choice with the guy she picked.

Perception allowed a lot of room for Clare to grow as a character. So much has happened to her between these two books and she had to have changed because of the events that occurred. Clare became a stronger person, not afraid to be who she was and let people into her life instead of staying on the fringes. She’s no longer just the freak with special powers, but an actual person and she is able to see how important she is too.

Perception is the perfect quick summer read. Kim Harrington’s style is funny and sarcastic and she knows how to write a great mystery. I really enjoyed this sequel and it reminded me why I loved the first one so much. I’m so glad I finally got around to read this. I can’t wait to see what Kim Harrington writes next!

And side-note: how perfect is this cover? I love it. Makes so much sense with the book too. And this Clare is much more how I pictured her then the one on the original Clarity cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment