Friday, June 3, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass
Myra McEntire
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Series or Standalone: Series
ISBN:1606841440
Format: ARC
Pages: 397
Source: Borrowed
Ratings: 5 Stars



I do not even know where to start with Hourglass. I have been putting off writing this review for months because this book is just filled with win. I have been really stumped as to how to my feelings for this book into words. If I could, I would just write a review that would say “Buy this book it is full of awesome. Everyone must buy it. ADJKAJGKAJGKDL It’s awesome.”, but that would not be super helpful.

In April, I did a post for the ten reasons why you must buy this book. I think that I’m going to use that as a basis for my review so this review is not just BUY THIS BOOK. So let me start off by talking about the characters in this book. I felt that all the characters in this book served a purpose and were all well defined characters. Every character that we met had their own personality and traits. The characters were extremely well written. Let’s start with Emerson Cole, the main character. I loved her. She was snarky, kick-butt and different. She was strong and able to stand up for herself, even when everyone thought she was crazy because of her visions. Also, she can kick-butt. Seriously, she has brown belt to prove it. And I love girls who can kick-butt because I truly wish I was that badass. And she is snarky. I love snark. It makes me laugh and Em did make me laugh. Emerson was one of those characters that got stuck in my head after I finished reading the book. She was just one of those characters with a really strong voice that will stick with you. And then there are the boys in this book. I just have to mention them. So first we have Michael Weaver who is a very mysterious guy. He works for a mysterious agency and knows more about Em than Em herself does. Basically, I was smitten by him the first time we met him and ended up loving him more as the book went out and we learned more about Michael. And then ther was also Kaleb, the other boy in this book who I really loved. Kaleb is Michael’s friend and works with Michael and is just as hot as Michael. But they are too completely different boys. Kaleb was in my opinion adorable. At times I felt really bad for him and just wanted to give him a hug. He was probably one of my favorite characters in this book. He was flawed and dealing with issues but was still able to be strong. I like that. And the romance. Boy. The romance could have gone crazy wrong but it was perfect. The build-up and the sexual tension was all spot on perfect. I was at points literally screaming for them to just kiss already, which I love. I just loved the romance.

Okay, so now I want to talk about how amazing the plot of this book is. Seriously. I did not really know what to expect when I started this book. It sounded like it might be just another paranormal teen book with a girl who sees visions and stuff. But what I got from Hourglass was none of that. I can truly say that this book was something new. Hourglass was seriously a breath of fresh air. I really liked how it blended paranormal elements such as the visions with some more scifi elements such as time travel. It was all mystery, action, paranormal, and wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff wound up into a big ball of awesome. I really really liked the balance between all those elemts. It truly finds a perfect balance between the two and creates this amazing story. And this story kept me on the edge of my seat. I did not know what was going to happen next. I was constantly being blown away by the plot. Twists and turns that took me by surprise. The last quarter of the book, I swear I was just sitting there reading with my mouth wide open because I was literally blown away. I did not expect the story to go in certain ways it did. And I just want to say that Myra McEntire has been added to my list of evil genius authors. There is this huge amazing twist in the book that will literally leave you in shock. I was blown away that she had actually did that. You will know the part I’m talking about when you read the book because you will be sitting there reading the book, dumbfounded that that event just actually happened. Boy, is that an amazing and horribly mean twist.

I really do not know what else to say. This book is just full of win. Myra McEntire has written a beautiful, stunningly awesome debut. It is hard to fathom that this book is her debut novel because it is just so stunning. The writing is beautiful and she has created this whole world were Em and her friends live and do some crazy things. Myra McEntire excuted the plot so brilliantly and is now an evil genius in my book. She literally kept me flipping pages as quickly as possible. Plus, she is also a Whovian. A reference to Doctor Who in your book has me in love with your book forever. Just saying. I am literally blown away by how amazing this book is. Everyone needs to pick up a copy of this book and read it as soon as possible. I mean who would not want a copy of this beautiful book on their shelf? The cover is just as beautiful as the words inside of it. Hourglass is probably one of my favorite books of 2011. Hourglass is an amazing debut that is a must read because it has a little bit of something for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! You made me even more excited for this book then I already am :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought i'd stop by and say Hi! I am a new follower and looking forward to seeing some more reviews.
    If you have time could you do a quick stop at my blog and see what you think?
    http://omnom-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many amazing things about this book! I think I'm going to have to go pick up a copy on my next trip to Chapters :)

    ReplyDelete