Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: My Soul to Keep

My Soul To Keep
Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: June 1, 2010
Pages: 304

Rating: 3 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

WHEN KAYLEE CAVANAUGH SCREAMS, SOMEONE DIES
AND KAYLEE IS ABOUT TO SCREAM HER HEAD OFF...

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.

Until something does.

Demon’s breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow, the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.

And when the epidemic hits too close to home, Kaylee will have to risk everything to save those she loves.

Rachel Vincent has truly created a unique series in a genre dominated by vampires and werewolves. In my Soul to Keep, the series continues to explore a world filled with bean sidhes, reapers, and hellions, adding rich new details to Kaylee’s world. 


This Soul Screamer novel started out the slowest for me. I felt the first hundred pages were a bit repetitive with the plot and were dragged out, but when the plot picked up, boy, did it pick up. After Kaylee almost gets killed and learns Nash's secret, I was eagerly turning pages to see what would happen next. The last two hundred pages were jam packed with everything I expect from this series. My Soul to Keep expanded greatly on the mythology of the Soul Screamer series, introducing the reader along with Kaylee to more of the mysteries of the Netherworld and of the bean sidhes. The Netherworld is such an interesting place, I am glad we got to learn more about it in this novel.

Since My Soul to Keep is the third book in the series, it may be confusing to readers who have not picked up the previous two books in the series. Much of the story line in this book revolves around characters and actions that have taken place in the previous two books in the series.

The end of this book left me waiting for the next book in the series. I cannot wait to see what happens with Nash and Kaylee's relationship after the ending and after what Nash did. While the ending was not a cliffhanger, it did leave me wanting more. I hope in the next books to learn more about the Netherworld and the creatures of the Netherworld, such as the hellions. I will be eagerly awaiting the fourth book in Soul Screamers series.


No comments:

Post a Comment