Thursday, September 30, 2010

Review: Personal Demons

Personal Demons
Lisa Desrochers
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Pages: 364

Ratings: 4.5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance—even her closest friends—and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions—for Hell—and she possesses a unique skill set that has the King of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he’s as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn’t get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay…for all of them.

Wow. Personal Demons blew me away. I am in love with this book. Personal Demons kept me franticly turning pages and staying up way too late, but in a good way. A stunning debut from Lisa Desrochers and definitely one of my new favorite series.

What can I say about Personal Demons? I spent a day when I was sick reading this whole book. I was addicted. I love the whole concept of Personal Demons with demons and angels vying for a person’s soul. I’m so glad this book focused on demons as well as angels; demons deserve some more attention in YA lit in my opinion. While I’m usually not a fan of dual point of view, having split point of between Frannie and Luc worked so well. I really enjoyed seeing the story unravel from both Frannie and Luc’s point of view since they were such different characters. Frannie and Luc were also well developed characters and each had their own voice that made the dual point of view really work. I felt Luc was a strong character than Frannie and better developed but it makes sense for Frannie to be a bit less developed since Frannie is battling her own “personal demons” and very torn on who she is. Overall, I felt the book was completely spot on with narration throughout and I found myself enjoying the two different point of views more then I thought.

At first, I was worried that this book would have a religious tone since it is a battle between heaven and hell for Frannie’s soul and because Frannie is from a very religious family. However, though the plot is focused on the battle for Frannie’s soul, I felt the story was more focused on the characters and the characters internal struggle more then anything else. I loved that the characters and the choices they have made and make through out the book drove the plot and book. The characters were such great characters and really three dimensional it was hard for me not to like them or relate to them. While Luc is a demon, he has that cocky, bad boy attitude, but he begins to question himself and his mission throughout the book and I love seeing him battle his own “personal demons” along with Frannie battling other personal demons and real ones. Frannie was a very complex character and I loved being able to see what was going on in her head and why she felt so guilty. Lisa Desrochers did a great job writing great characters that were interesting and fun to read.

I could go on and on about my love for this book (and my love for certain characters) but I won’t. This book left me wanting a lot more. While the ending of the book didn’t answer all the questions I had while reading, I hope the next book in this series will answer them. I cannot wait to find out more about Frannie and her power that makes her soul such a valuable commodity, about Luc, who I loved, and his relationship with Frannie. Personal Demons is one of my favorite books published this year. I’m excited to see where Lisa Desrochers takes us next in this series with these wonderful characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment