Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (14) - The Mockingbirds


The Mockingbirds
Daisy Whitney
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
To be released: November 2, 2010

Summary (from Goodreads):

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

First off, I just want to apoligize that this week and most of last week was all memes. I have been swamped with school work (mostly Shakespeare) and haven’t had time to finish the reviews I’ve started. I’m going to catch up on blogging this weekend.

Okay, onto the Mockingbirds. I’ve heard such great things about this book and I cannot wait to read it. This book looks like it might be a challenged and possibly banned book, and that makes me incredibly sad. Stories like this need to be told an accessible to readers, especially teenagers. I will definitely be buying this book when it is released even though I am a poor college student.

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event highlighting exciting upcoming releases. It is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


No comments:

Post a Comment